TheRadioBoard

Forum for the homemade radio builder. Newbies and Experts and everyone else are welcome here!
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: My New Radio
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

Today i want to introduce to you my new project the Hellenedyne Regenerator. It is based off of Dave's version of Phil's Schematic (found here http://home.comcast.net/~phils_radio_designs/)
Here is Dave's version http://schmarder.com/radios/tube/h-dyne.htm I am using a Radio Shack transformer to get 12volts and then using a voltage multiplier to get around 35v on the plate.

I am very impressed with this schematic I have logged stations of over 800 miles away from my populated area outside of New York city. I brought it to school and my Science teacher was impressed that a 14 year old was capable of such work, and the kids in the class were very pleased with me, especially the kid that thought it was a bomb =(.
The box is one of the Radio Shack run of the mill project boxes nothing special their. The front shield is grounded to reduce hand capacitance. The coil requires a external tuner, but i have found that pointing the coil at some of the torches i can pick up ample signal.

I started to build radios about a year ago, after learning about my grandpa who died when he was 51, many years before me entering this world. He used to build everything he owned and had a collection of radios and gear in the basement (no longer here). It started with a school project to learn about where we came from and what our family was like. I picked my grandpa, this is when i really learned about him. I thought a great way to demonstrate this would be to build a xtal set. So thats what i did. I found a run of the mill xtal schematic and built it to show the class. The teachers and the kids loved it. I have been hooked ever since. This is my first tube set and 4th radio.

I want to thank some of the people that have taught me and helped me the most in this hobby and that would be Dave Schmarder and Mike Peebles.
The radio features Mike's dial disk, and coil forms.
Pictures below.

-Denver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

That's excellent, Denver.
Looking forward to seeing your future projects.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:28 pm 

Great effort Dencohe. Hope you can interest others of your age to get involved in the hobby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:38 pm 
Excellent Dencohe,

I am very new here in these forums and impressed by the wide range of enthusiasts. Hat off .. very nice looking receiver. I bet your class mates were dumbfounded by having to have BOTH hands out of the pockets to work this one :)

george

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:55 pm 

Denver,

That looks great! Glad it's working great for you, too!

Hope you keep hanging around, as I'm so pleased
that we have a high-schooler that shares this interest.

Keep up the fine work!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:55 pm 

Very nicely done, by golly. I see nice materials used and even a fuse!

Keep up the good work.

-Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:46 am 

That's impressive work Denver. Nicely done!

73, Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:27 am 

hi Denver!

wonderful! that is some VERY fine craftsmenship on your part. trust me, your version is built a LOT better than any of mine have been LOL. i really like the styling of your set, the labelling, your control layout, the LED power indicator, the mounting, and how clean the design looks from the back. excellent job! it looks like a winning science fair project.

i must say it brings me a lot of joy seeing you get mileage from that design. Dave was a tremendous help in getting the Hellenedyne workable. his input also led to my "revised" design: the Angelodyne (very similar and what i currently use for all my shortwave listening).

i too hope your hard work will inspire other young people to get involved in science and our fun-filled radio hobby. IMO hobbies are an EXTREMELY important part of having a happy and satisfying life. also seeds planted when young can often grow into very lucrative and enjoyable careers as an adult. the US needs more young people like you.

warm regards,
phil :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 am 

Phil,

Quote:
i too hope your hard work will inspire other young people to get involved in science and our fun-filled radio hobby. IMO hobbies are an EXTREMELY important part of having a happy and satisfying life. also seeds planted when young can often grow into very lucrative and enjoyable careers as an adult. the US needs more young people like you.

That's a big ditto!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:51 am 

Denver, WOW, good looking set.

simply by posting here you have just acquired a BUNCH of Elmer's, an Elmer is a older experienced radio builder/repairer/restorer/HAM (radio amateur), more or less a "voluntary teacher".

feel free to ask more and post more, many here will help and try to get you to the very top, actually I think many here would be more than happy seeing you surpass themselves as to knowledge in the radio area, which in my case would be easy compared to some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:46 am 

That's

Last edited by Rune on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:25 pm 

Wonderful, wonderful work, Denver! It's very clear that you put a lot of planning into layout. Your workmanship is excellent. Compared to what I was building when I was fourteen, I would have been quite jealous and you would certainly have raised the bar for me!

I hope this hobby flows through your veins and you continue to be rewarded by it for many years. I look forward to seeing your latest anytime!

Macrohenry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Everyone!

I really appreciate all the support i have gotten here. I will defiantly ask if i need help next time.

It was a really fun project. Took me maybe a whole saturday to get it built (when i should have been studying for exam), and half of sunday to wire and solder it. Ill post pictures of the insides if anyones wants them. Nothing really to special inside.

I am starting on my next project when parts come in, so ill keep everyone up to date. I look forward to showing my projects off here.

Thanks again
-Denver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:09 pm 

Dencohe wrote:
Took me maybe a whole saturday to get it built ... and half of sunday to wire and solder it.

You might not realize it but you have inadvertently revealed a facet of homebrewing that many overlook.

First you build the radio, then you wire it up. That dates back to the old texts from the 1920s. Lots of fellows do both at the same time.

Good advice :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:47 pm 

Denver,

Quote:
It was a really fun project. Took me maybe a whole saturday to get it built (when i should have been studying for exam), and half of sunday to wire and solder it.

"When I should have been studying for exam" :cry:

Now, I remember why I was a "B" & "C" student. . . :oops:

'Zactly what I did all the time :shock:

Building radios, model cars and working on my '46 Ford were way more
important than studying. . .

I guess that's where the addiction process started :D

BTW: Exray is right-on with the building/wiring process. . .

Mike